- Started reading:
- 29th September 2010
- Finished reading:
- Not yet finished.
As a software engineer, you recognize at some point that there’s much more to your career than dealing with code. Is it time to become a manager? Tell your boss he’s a jerk? Join that startup? Author Michael Lopp recalls his own make-or-break moments with Silicon Valley giants such as Apple, Netscape, and Symantec in Being Geek — an insightful and entertaining book that will help you make better career decisions.
With more than 40 standalone stories, Lopp walks through a complete job life cycle, starting with the job interview and ending with the realization that it might be time to find another gig. Many books teach you how to interview for a job or how to manage a project successfully, but only this book helps you handle the baffling circumstances you may encounter throughout your career.
- Decide what you’re worth with the chapter on “The Business”
- Determine the nature of the miracle your CEO wants with “The Impossible”
- Give effective presentations with “How Not to Throw Up”
- Handle liars and people with devious agendas with “Managing Werewolves”
- Realize when you should be looking for a new gig with “The Itch”